7 Comments

1. Posted November 15, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Wonderful tour! Thank you for sharing your farmden.

I can sympathize with the statement, “I can’t plant any more.” My 4-year-old claims I’ve taken up all the space in our yard with fruit trees. I point out that the back yard is still 2/3 grass, but yes, the front yard is completely planted with fruit. I promised him I wouldn’t plant any more trees until spring. I “need” a quince tree and a European pear, and I get to spend the winter researching and planning. (Disease resistance, flavor, suitable for processing since I enjoy preserving the fruit.) So, I get to re-read nearly all your books!

2. Posted November 16, 2013 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

I need to plant a quince also. It’s one of the few fruits I’ve never grown. I have the space (2 1/2 acres) but can’t figure out a good/meaningful place to plant one.

3. Posted November 16, 2013 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

You are up in New Paltz, right? I didn’t know you could grow some of those fruits …I thought it would be too cold. I live in Jay , NY, and we are zone 4. I just planted 10 fruit trees and 10 fruiting bushes and I will be rereading your books, too, over this winter to see where I can add…I “need” grapes as well!!!

4. Posted November 22, 2013 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Oh thank you Lee,
    this is a wonderful tour of your garden, I really loved that!
    Cheers!

5. Posted November 25, 2013 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

Thanks a lot Lee for your interesting practice. We have lot of leaves in Nepal. I am associated with FoST. FoST has been involved in providing training and disseminating biochar made from all sorts of dried green wastes, no matter they are from farm as crop residues or forest wastes to improve the soil fertility, carbon sequestration, water retaining and more growth. Thanks again, Sanu Kaji, FoST, fost@ntc.net.np

• Posted November 26, 2013 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

As I have written in past posts (December 14, 2012, for instance), I have my doubts over a given organic material doing more good as biochar rather than as material added directly to the soil or compost pile. The only advantage of biochar seems to be carbon sequestration, but part of the benefit of organic materials is that they feed soil organisms, which releases nutrients, fights pathogens, etc. It is in the feeding of these organisms that carbon (as carbon dioxide) is released from organic materials. Do we really want to avoid this release?