387 Springtown Road
New Paltz, New York 12561
1979-1981 PhD in Horticulture, University of Maryland
1976-1977 MS in Horticulture, University of Wisconsin
1972-1976 MS in Soil Science, University of Wisconsin
1965-1969 BA in Chemistry, University of Wisconsin
1984-Present Horticultural Consultant and Writer
- Consultant for research organizations, farms, and private properties in the U.S., Spain, and France.
- Contributor to such publications as Horticulture, Fine Gardening, Martha Stewart Living, and The New York Times.
- Frequent speaker at gardening symposia, garden shows, garden clubs, grower meetings, and part-time instructor at educational institutions such as the New York Botanical Garden.
- Syndicated national bimonthly gardening columnist for Associated Press.
- Book author (see list below).
1987-1989 Department Chairman and Assistant Professor of Horticulture, Ulster County Community College, Stone Ridge, New York
1981-1985 Research Associate, Cornell University, New York
1979-1981 Research Assistant, Fruit Laboratory, U. S. Department of Agriculture, Beltsville, Maryland
1977-1979 Soil Conservationist, U. S. Department of Agriculture, Georgetown, Delaware
PUBLICATIONS – BOOKS (partial listing)
Grow Fruit Naturally. Taunton Press. 2012.
The Pruning Book. Taunton Press. Revised in 2010.
Landscaping with Fruit. Storey Publishing. 2009.
Uncommon Fruits for Every Garden. Timber Press. 2004.
Weedless Gardening. Workman Publishing. 2001.
Growing Fruit in Your Backyard. Macmillan. 1996.
Backyard Fruits and Berries. Prentice Hall. 1996.
A Northeast Gardener’s Year. Addison-Wesley Publishing Co. 1992.
Uncommon Fruits Worthy of Attention: A Gardener’s Guide. Addison-Wesley Publishing Co. 1991. (In Italy by Edagricole-Edizioni Agricole,1994)
Editor and contributor to: Fruits, Nature’s Desserts. Brooklyn Botanical Garden, Publication in 1996.
Contributor to: Rodale’s All-New Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening. Rodale Press, 1992.
Contributor to: A New Look at Vegetables. Brooklyn Botanical Garden, 1993.